Skip to content

For small businesses

Categories

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

177 results found

1. As we have to load bills into Xero to reconcile, (and I use hubDoc to do this now) it would be great if we had the option to send certain bills to Workflow Max to assign them to a job and include them on a client invoice. This would top off this suite of programs for me!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Xero is retiring its WorkflowMax product on 26 June 2024 and has entered into an agreement with tech-led business advisory firm, BlueRock, who are acquiring the brand. As part of this, they have commenced plans to offer a new product. BlueRock’s intent is that their new WorkflowMax product, WorkflowMax by BlueRock will be available to customers in early 2024. You can read more on the blog and on the WorkflowMax website.

2. Currently if you create a bill, it credits the Accounts Payable liability account and there is no way to change this.

Why isn't it possible to record payments due under different (more specific) liabilities?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi team, looping back it'd be good to explain a little more of how Xero works to help in the understanding here. Xero handles a lot of the double entry bookkeeping for you. 

Accounts Payable is a system account that Xero doesn't allow direct posting(manual journals) too. The only way to impact this account is through posting Bills, Supplier Credit notes and Payments to these transactions. This ensures the account is always in balance. 

At an individual level, Xero keeps a record of supplier debts based on the Contact entered on the transaction, and you impact the expense account based on the account selected for each line of your transaction. 

I do want to be upfront that we don't have intentions of changing the behaviour of how this works in Xero. However, it'd be good to hear more detail if there are specific reasons or other ways in which you'd…

3. New invoicing has to go, it is aboslute rubbish and does not work, The new reporting si so bad and hard to work along with the latest change I will likely leave. And no one at xero wants to talk to you, and one reply i saw was basically gaslighting every one into a tough ti..ies it is changing. keep old invoices, and work on weaknesses like inventory for small businesses.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry to hear you're not liking some of our changes in Xero, Fiona. I've made sure to share your feedback here with the team but want to be honest that we will be retiring classic invoicing in September and we will move the idea here to not planned. However, that said we are committed to continuing to build on new invoicing. 

I understand you've seen some of our responses elsewhere and as you may have seen some of the ideas on the site that relate to changes that you'd like to see I encourage you add your vote and join these for any updates. If there's not an existing idea for a particular change you'd like to see please do add it, our product team are taking on board all feedback we're receiving on this. 

4. It would be great to have the functionality for Partners/Accountant to be able to view Xero Go files as you would in a cashbook, ledger or business edition organisation, by seeing a preview of the document without having to download it.

This was the case when Xero Go was initially came out and only an odd invoice needed downloading, now it is all of them, across various clients.

I would take a guess there may be an issue with the app and photos it takes, these are jpeg and should just come up automatically when we view them. A fix…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi community, thanks for engaging with us here on Xero Product Ideas. As you'll have recently seen in our communications - We have spent the last year testing and refining Xero Go and after completing a careful review to understand the future of the product, we found greater investment was required to meet the changing customer needs and expectations around the product.  As a result, we will be retiring Xero Go on 12 September 2024, and will move this idea to not planned.  We really appreciate the support from you all who have been using the app during this free period.

5. When pulling the Trial balance it keeps defaulting back to the last financial year. Why not set it up to default to "Today" as most of the time you are pulling the Trial balance as it is today. Then if you want to see the Trial balance for the prior financial year will have it already on there in the last column. We pull the Trial balance regularly for reconciliations and it wastes time to keep changing the date and then click update. Although it does not take long to do this, it is still time wasted.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Anita! 

Thanks for sharing this suggestion with the community. I've confirmed with the team that are no plans to change the date that the Trial Balance report defaults to.

However, if there's specific dates or filters you'd like to use each time you run the Trial Balance report, I'd recommend creating a custom report that defaults to today's date.

6. I would like to suggest the option to defer a vat liability to the next period.
    In many cases, customers raise invoices, but then their customer does not pay for a time.
    The customer in the meantime is forced to pay the vat putting him at a disadvantage.
    I propose the option to defer a vat line item to the following period - in other words, remove it from the present tax return and allow it to reflect on the following tax return.
    This is a great benefit to the customer from a cashflow viewpoint - especially the smaller businesses.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Ingrihid, thanks for the idea and support here. We appreciate all the valuable feedback and ideas shared via our Product Ideas page.

I can see that you are based in South Africa and that your idea likely relates to the VAT 201 report. Our VAT 201 return has been developed to comply with SARS guidelines and the option to defer individual VAT line items would go against this. For more information on VAT compliance we would recommend reaching out to SARS directly.

You will see the VAT 201 return can only be run on an Accrual basis. Accrual basis includes all transactions by the transaction date, whereas payments basis includes all transactions by payment date.

It doesn't look like the option to create the VAT 201 on a payments basis has been raised. If this is something you would like to suggest, please feel free to raise this idea…

7. i was importing invoices raised in Simpro Software to Xero Software, most of the information are not present. Only invoice date, Ref no, invoice no, and amount is present. Description is considered to be important information but that is missing (Job No. is present in Description field).

Its like double work. While integrating information form other software, xero has to provide nearly all the required necessary information.

I hope there could be a solution for this issue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Tim, thanks for sharing this idea! We actually have a dedicated forum for API suggestions, similar to Product Ideas, over on our Developer Centre.

This is one that'd be better suited to that API team, and you can share it here. In the meantime, I'll close it off as 'Not Planned' here on Product Ideas 😊

8. I would like Xero to read the terms on our invoices that we are importing via Wise-Sync rather than the branding within Xero.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey community, thanks for your continued interest in this idea.

From the 4th September, we’ve removed the option to add Pay with Wise to your Xero subscription for new sign ups, and we made the decision to completely remove the feature from 26th February 2024.

Our team is hard at work on an alternative bill payment solution that uses Open banking.

9. Recreate the old version reports in the new code, DON'T break reports that aren't broken in the first place.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Mirian, sorry to hear you're not liking the new view of Xero's reports. We want to be upfront that there are no plans to recreate old reports exactly as they were. 

All software has a lifecycle, like a car. The older it gets, the more challenging it becomes to maintain it. Even keeping the engine working requires effort, attention and cost. Eventually, you need to replace it with something new.\

If there are specifics in the new reports that you'd like to see improved please have a search to see if an idea has been started that you could support, or you're welcome to start one that others can join in. 

10. Option to utilise already saved P&L layout from old P&L platform onto the upgraded reports platform and able to apply this saved layout onto all different types of P&L reports including compare tracking categories, compare depts etc.

We should not need to edit the layout of each report again just for the new platform when we already got the layout saved the way we needed it to be in the old platform.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Ability within the API to assign hidden data to an invoice. The additional field can be a string(255) that can accept data in any format (e.g. JSON), or any other format of data an internal system might need.

This would enable other systems linking to xero to pass specific data to and from internal systems and link invoices back using the API.

We currently pass some data using the reference, but this is visible to customers on the invoice so can cause confusion and it not as useful as passing JSON data.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Juliet, appreciate you joining community here. For ideas that relate to Xero's API we have a Developer forum where you can ask for these sort of changes. There are also experts in this field  involved in the site there to communicate any change and keep users updated on ideas for connecting to Xero. 

We'll remove your idea from the site here, but I encourage you to add this to Xero's Developer Community Feature request site over here

12. Please bring back the old look, especially Purchase Overview. The new one is difficult to look at

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Appreciate your feedback, Karolina. We do want to be upfront that there are no intentions of bringing back the previous view. 

These changes are necessary for the platform, and in line with upgraded change that we're making across the product

There is a toggle within the page where you can select to turn on a compact view and may help with your viewing. 

If there is something else in terms of the look and feel of the new page that is particularly difficult for you please do share and we can consider this in isolation and get an understanding of the support, and understand how this could be improved in the new design, long term. 

13. The "building on beautiful" Xero philosophy seems at odds with many of the ideas posted on this forum. In my opinion users want functionality - not beauty. My idea is to change Xero's design mantra from building on beautiful, to building on functional. At present this seems lost on software designers that place priority on (inefficient) mouse clicks over scrolls, and limited bank rec screens. Have these software designers ever had to deal with large volumes of financial data/documents? It would seem not - they're simply focussed on making it beautiful.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for sharing your views and concerns to the way in which we're developing and upgrading across Xero's product, Karen and Paul-John. We appreciate the honesty from our customers, and while we will move the post here to Not planned your feedback has been keenly shared with respective teams internally and held high as we move forward.
    Changes we're making provide a more consistent experience that's simpler and easier to navigate. However, it goes beyond being just the visuals - These changes are also to help create the flexibility across Xero to deliver what we know our customers value most. Our approach is to deliver continuous improvement, that consistently adds value to your experience now and into the future.
    Ideas shared through the forums here are vast, and broadly range from improvements to current product through to new innovative features. While there maybe smaller ideas that we can adopt into some…

14. Our business currently uses ApprovalMax to have bills and purchase orders approved. It would be great if Xero could offer the API function for expenses also so that expenses can be automatically sent to approvers.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Amna, thanks for sharing your suggestion! We have a dedicated platform for API suggestions over on the developer support site.

If you'd like to suggest improvements to the API, or request new API functions, your best bet would be to raise it with the team there 😊

15. I just had a query about where should we upload each supplier's EOM Statement?
    It is great that you can upload a copy of a supplier's invoice to each individual bill entry, but what happens at the end of the month when we receive Statements from the suppliers.
    Do we upload them into the Contact card section?
    Or should there be a separate area in the Contact card for EOM Statements to be uploaded?
    Because as more and more businesses go paperless we need to file these Statements somewhere.
    Thank you.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Bridie, this is really up to the business to decide but as you've suggested at present an end of month statement from  your Supplier could be attached as a file to their Contact record - this way you can keep track and compare the previous months statement to the next. 

Alternatively, you could look at creating a folder in the Files inbox that you could upload all Supplier end of month statements too. Really depends on your needs. 

@Elle, in the opposite flow to what you're asking here. From a Contacts record you'll see that you can currently +Add from file library so it's possible to attach files that you have uploaded to your library to a contacts record. 

16. Add Klarna as a payment option within the Stripe/ Xero integration
    CX0013452500 is the ticket i raised this. Would drive sales for us

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Shane, while we have a selection of specific payment service integrators we don't intend to build and develop integrations with all providers. 

Instead, there is an option to add a payment service with a custom URL which would allow you to set up the payment service with a custom URL provided by your payment service(Klarna) - See more on this here

17. I would like to see the integration with Gmail (and other emails) to the Contacts back. Not sure why this has been removed, but it was very useful

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Des, after careful consideration and investigation, this feature no longer provides the product experience that meets our standards at Xero. As part of a bigger project to enhance and improve the contacts overview page later on in 2023 this feature to connect Gmail and Office365  to contact in Xero will be removed - We have an article that shares more detail about this on Xero Central.

If you'd like to save a file to a contact record, you can continue to do so by downloading  the document from your  Gmail or Office365 account and uploading this in the 'Related files' in the top right of the Contacts overview page.

18. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Improve / expand data brought across in Stripe Direct Feed. Description in Stripe is not brought across which means many Stripe transactions in our Xero feed have meaningless references and descriptions e.g.

Reference: ch_3MHilDKRj5Y4ltOC0Sef6SkV
    Description: Subscription creation / Card Country-CA

Instead of the actual product description that is shown in Stripe.

That means we can not create bank rules to rely on description / reference data and need to manually check transactions in Stripe to reconcile revenue to the correct product-based revenue accounts.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. I would like to be able to obtain and print out an employee's PAYG payment summary (ATO now calls these Income Statements) from Xero. I am using STP. Employee does not agree to ATO's terms and conditions in MyGov so can't obtain the PAYG Payment Summary from there and ATO was resistant to posting it to the employee but when finally agreed to do so said it would take 4 weeks!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hey Ralph, it's not possible in Xero to access and print out income statements from an employee's MyGov account. 

Whilst much of the information in an Income Statement comes from the STP filed as an employer, this doesn't allow us to access or provide income statements to employees through Xero. 

In these cases we'd really recommend working with the ATO for a resolution, as they'll need to confirm the income statement is 'Tax Ready'.

More on income statements can be found on the ATO website.

• Don't see your idea?