New Invoicing - Copy invoice to keep existing email
Thank you for delivering to keep the existing contact when copying an invoice. Now when you email the invoice the email address is not populated from the contact file. You have to go and look it up to send the copied invoice.
Please refer to the contact details and pre-populate their contact email addresses.
Thanks
Hi team, apologies we've not rounded back out on this idea sooner. I appreciate all the feedback this idea received.
Where copy to functions aren't working as expected I'd recommend first engaging with our Xero Support team to check in on the behaviour. It can be hard to dig into and depict causes within the community here.
In terms of the default applications when copy an invoice to a new invoice as noted in my last reply this is limited to the Sales defaults that have been saved against inventory items or the contact not the full contact detail selections applied to the previous invoice.
We don't have any plans for changing the behaviour of the emails shown in the send window. This will be driven by the selected contact and the persons on the contact record that you have selected to include in emails.
Appreciate highlighting of the 'To' options you found when sending here, Olga this is helpful for others to know in the different states of the invoice.
In terms of the Approve &email options. The button is for convenience however the actions themselves are separated - As soon as selected the invoice is Approved, then the send modal will show for you to be able to make other changes before sending.
We have a separate idea in the case that an invoice is approved accidentally that some users may like to join and follow here. However being upfront this isn't something we have any short term plans around.
-
Olga O'Keefe
commented
Hi Kelly, thank you for following up on this one.
I just experimented and discovered why we can't see an email address in the freshly copied invoice when you click on "Email". Because it was not saved!!!
Classic invoicing does not show the Email button in the draft invoice until the invoice is saved. It does make sense.
New invoicing shows the Email option in the dropdown menu BEFORE the invoice is saved. When we push it, no email address in the "To:" line. After the invoice is saved, the "To:" line shows the email address.
My suggestion is it's better to remove the "Email" option from the dropdown menu. It must appear only after the invoice is saved.
I tried the above in the morning with dummy invoices.
Now I had to copy three real invoices and email them. The first invoice did show the email address in the "To:" line when I clicked "Approve & Email" button. But, two other invoices did not show the email addresses. I had to cancel. When you cancel two things happen: the invoice is approved and marked as unsent. Then I emailed the invoices using the dropdown menu option "Email".
It is very frustrating.
1. Why cancelling "Approve & Email" cancels "Email" only?
2. Why the first copied invoice was okay with the email address and two others were not? -
Olga O'Keefe
commented
Hi Kelly,
May I interpret this? In new accounting, when we copy an invoice, the message appears:
"Contact and Item defaults will not reapply to the new invoice. If you want to reapply defaults, remove and reselect the Contact or Item after the invoice is copied."
This means that we need to reselect the contact if we want to see the correct email address!!!
This undermines the purpose of copying an invoice.
Is it possible to restore a proper "copy to" function as classic invoicing has it?
-
Aspedia Accounts
commented
Hi Kelly,
When I go to email the invoice that I have just copied from a previous invoice - the contact is chosen - however the email address doesn't populate for me.
If it's a new invoice the email address is populated as expected.
See attached file where I've copied from one contact to show you what is happening for me.
Thanks
Lynne