Invoice Branding - More Customisation and font options
I think the invoice customisation in Xero needs a major overhaul. Many of my clients have spent considerable amounts on graphic design, but the customisation process (downloading a Word doc, editing, and uploading) is a nightmare. The standard Xero invoices are really dated (such as the Mastercard or Visa logos, the payment slip footer, font choices etc), which means the better option is to upload a customised invoice. The problem I have is that most of the fonts I've tried seem to be unavailable once uploaded to Xero, with most reverting to Times New Roman, and that's an issue that dates back at least to 2020 and has been noted in posts by other users (see: https://central.xero.com/s/question/0D53m00005qPq3kCAC/how-to-make-custom-fonts-work-in-xero-invoices-custom-branding). Invoicing and client communication have a big impact on the way customers and clients perceive a brand, and it surprises me that it's so hard to try and customise invoices from Xero like this. I've looked at alternatives (Stripe, Invoice2Go, etc.) and while not perfect, they offer a much more professional look than the invoices produced from within Xero. For my own practice I choose not to use Xero's invoicing, but if Xero were to offer a better solution in this area I'd change in a heartbeat.
Thanks to everyone who asked for easier, more flexible invoice branding. Our new Invoice template editor is now available in all regions, so you can customise invoices in Xero without Word uploads.
You can adjust your logo and colours, rename columns, choose which business and customer details appear, add notes and payment information, and preview changes as you work. This helps you create on-brand invoices for your workflow. 🙂
While fonts in this new editor are limited atm, we're interested to know if there are specific fonts our customers would like to see added - See my recent update and please share on this idea if there is one that would be most helpful for your business.
If there are other aspects of your invoices that you'd like to be able to customise, please do start new ideas for these that we can consider for future enhancements. Thanks
-
Geoff Schmidt
commented
All the financial documents are Word templates that you can modify. There are paid services available that will make your invoices look how you want them to look but you can also do it yourself.
Although I agree that the standard is not great, but it makes it easy to tell which of your suppliers use Xero - all the invoice layouts are the same! :) -
Nicola Hastings
commented
Just started with xero and can't believe how poor quality and unprofessional looking the PDF/print version of the invoices are. I had beautiful standard invoices in freshbooks and would love to be able to replicate that in xero. I feel very unprofessional sending the pdf invoices from xero.
- Needs more basic branding options, simply being able to add your brand colour that is applied to bold text headings and top table border lines would be better.
- More up to date layout of the logo, business address, and invoice details. Amount due should be at the top, due date should be at the top.
- Remove the HORRID giant INVOICE / STATEMENT word from the top that is a waste of space. Should at least be smaller and sit nicely in line with the rest of the invoice details.
- Easier option for editing and making custom templates that does not involve word docx. I do not have a copy of word, nor do I wish to purchase it in order to make simple changes to make an invoice look more professional and on-brand. I also do not wish to hire someone to make these changes on my behalf. -
Johnny George
commented
I posted just a minute ago, but don't see where it has posted. So I'm reposting:
After looking around at other invoicing programs, I noticed that the Xero invoice is pretty dull in comparison to others out there. Please look at the comparison of Xero & another. The addition of color within the invoice makes it quite a bit more when seen with color. (see attached)
Is this a possibility within the next update?
-
Johnny George
commented
Here is an example of a Xero invoice. (see attachment)
Thank you.
-
Johnny George
commented
I have an idea for sprucing up the look of Xero invoices.
While I was off of Xero for a few months, I came across this look in another competitor's layout.
Look at attached screenshot. See how more attractive the invoice looks compared to Xero layout that has no color? Is this something you could offer in the future for of different templates?Look forward to your response or update. Thank you.
-
Ivano Celia
commented
docx is kind of a possible work around. at least xero should accept Google Fonts, which is not the case at the moment. should be more actual? :-)
-
Steph Jones
commented
I would very much love to see Xero allow this function of fully customisable invoices with customers brand fonts being able to be used! most other software support this now. Please please please sort this? Thanks.
-
Catherine Roberts
commented
Even just provide a list of which fonts work on Xero! That would help - I've spent hours trying to find a match for Century Gothic which works within Xero, and most of that time was wasted. Does Xero *really* only handle Times New Roman and Arial?
-
Davin Smith
commented
Using our corporate ID fonts is important to us - having to copy the information from xero into another application to generate the invoice is poor for our systems
-
Oliver Mellor
commented
Come on Xero sort this out! It's embarrassing to send quotes that aren't matched to our brand.
-
Derek Watson
commented
Is there any comment on this, it is a subject I brought up with Xero when I first signed up in 2018/2019.
As a creative company, it would be good to be able to enhance the look of all our communications, as is feasible with other tools/services.
Surely it is not that difficult?
-
Libby Toon
commented
More advanced invoice design
This is to assist the customer receiving a Xero invoice... Xero invoices from multiple suppliers are beginning to look very uniform, which causes difficulty in differentiating when customers receive in paper format. Perhaps the option to change the background colour, or upload a watermark design rather than just the ability to add the logo, change the font etc.